What Can I Talk About?
As a public speaker, I am available to talk about these topics:
- Identity (Growing up as a mainstreamed child, teenager, young adult, and then finding Deaf culture)
- Deaf Awareness (Anything from talking about the science of it, to ableism/audism, police brutality, etc.)
- Closed Captioning Awareness
- Child abuse (I was abused as a child and experienced emotional, physical, and verbal abuse for over twenty years.)
- Mental health (I have been living with depression since my teenage years.)
I am really available for talking about various topics. My YouTube channel and posts have never been just about deafness.
Lights, Camera, Caption! - VidCon 2015 Deaf Workshop
This is the debut of my Lights, Camera, Caption! workshop which took place at VidCon in July 2015.
In this workshop, I talked about what captioning is, why it's important, how to do it, and how to get people involved in captioning.
Deaf Awareness Talk At Lycoming College| Rikki Poynter
This is a talk that I gave at Lycoming College in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
In this talk, I talked about my life growing up as a mainstreamed deaf child as well as things like closed captioning awareness, police brutality awareness, #DEAFTALENT awareness, and more.
VidCon 2016: Lights, Camera, Caption! Closed Captioning Workshop
The Lights, Camera, Caption! workshop happened at VidCon 2016 for a second year in a row. While it is very similar to the workshop in 2015, new ways to caption were added so I talked about those. I also included another lip reading challenge.
From Mainstream To In-between | A Talk At University Of North Carolina Greensboro | ASL
In this video, I talk about my life growing up as a mainstreamed deaf child who found the deaf community in my adult years.
Discovering Myself As A Deaf Person And Becoming An Activist | University of Iowa
At the university of Iowa, I talked about my life growing up without any involvement in deaf people other than myself and deaf community only to later become an activist for myself and others.