On September 25th, 2016, I want to launch #NoMoreCraptions.
What is #NoMoreCraptions, you may ask? It’s a campaign that I want to start to make people aware of the lack of proper closed captioning on YouTube.
As you know, I have been working for almost two years to make YouTubers aware of closed captioning for their deaf audience. I have been somewhat successful, but I’m not clearly as close as I want to be. That is because I cannot do this by myself. There are too many people on this earth. I am one person in a world of seven billion. I can only make so many “caption your videos!” videos. Every channel has a different audience consisting of different people. In order to reach out to everyone, I need everyone’s help.
I have only one rule for this video: the video must be captioned, obviously. The video must be captioned before you make it public.
I want the videos to cover these topics:
- Introduce the campaign and what it is
- What closed captioning is
- Why it’s important (d/Deaf/HOH people, people with auditory processing disorder, for people learning other languages, etc)
- What auto c®aptions really are and why they don’t work
- How it benefits creators (captions get translated into subtitles, brings it more viewers/subscribers)
- How to caption (you can refer them to my 3 Ways To Caption video or tell them to Google, lol)
- Note that if creators choose to go the fan contribution route, they NEED to look over the submissions before publishing. Caption with jokes and unnecessary commentary are not real captions and should not be published.
- Anything else you can think of that would be worth noting.
I want to emphasize that I would really like to see these videos go up on Sunday, September 25th. Why? While September is fully dedicated to deaf awareness, there is one day dedicated to the cause: the last Sunday of September. So, for 2016, that’s the 25th.
Please, please, please, if you can get anybody you know on board with this, please send them this post. I want as many people involved as possible. My mission is to make this a huge thing. I want this to make this as big as possible in just one day.
When the day arrives, I will make a #NoMoreCraptions playlist on my YouTube channel so all the videos will be in one place.